Well readers I could just not pass up another “fine” example of a fellow angler who just couldn’t do it right! Sometimes you have to wonder what goes on between the ears. Anyway, here is another winner of the “Pull Your Head Out” Award from Idaho Fishing Notebook. May all my readers enjoy reading your plight. Nice job, dude!
A Boise man has been convicted of illegally guiding anglers on one of Idaho’s premier trout fishing rivers, the South Fork of the Boise River.
Christopher R. Bentley, 26, was cited for guiding without a valid license and for fishing with a barbed fly. Advertising his illegal guiding services on Craig’s List proved to be Bentley’s undoing.
In early July, officers with the Idaho Outfitters and Guides Association were alerted to Bentley’s internet advertisement. Fish and Game officers were made aware of the suspected violation and worked with Outfitters and Guides enforcement personnel to put together the case against Bentley. He was contacted, interviewed and arrested while guiding clients on the South Fork Boise in mid-July. His fishing gear, including a Hyde drift boat and fly rod and reel were seized as evidence in the case.
Appearing before Elmore County Magistrate Judge Hicks on August 5, Bentley pleaded guilty to guiding without a valid license and using barbed hooks on a barbless-only water.
His sentencing included:
- $2,000 fine ($1,000 suspended) plus $95 in court costs.
- $57 fine for the barbless hook violation.
- 90 days in jail (88 suspended). Given the option, Bentley chose 40 hours of community service instead of the two days in jail.
- Two-year fishing and hunting privilege suspension.
- Two years of unsupervised probation.
- $1,365 in reimbursement to the Outfitters and Guides for case expenses.
- Forfeiture of his fishing rod and reel. The Hyde drift boat was returned to Bentley’s father who held legal title to the boat.
Because Idaho is a member of the Wildlife Violator Compact, Bentley will be unable to legally fish or hunt in 30 other states during his license revocation period.